Cleaning is an everyday practice in our homes, facilities and workplaces.Today we are more alert about the importance of disinfecting our premises after cleaning. One of the ways COVID-19 virus spreads is through respiratory droplets oIn high-touch surfaces like doorknobs, keyboards, toys, countertops, etc. According to public health officials disinfecting high touch areas during an outbreak or pandemic should be  at least twice a day.

 

Using proper disinfecting products and methods is highly important. In this article, we will discuss all the important points related to cleaning and disinfecting your surroundings effectively.

 

The first step is to understand the difference between cleaning, sanitizing  and disinfecting.

 

Difference between cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting

 

Cleaning is the act of removing dirt, impurities from the surface by friction. Cleaning process does not kill any germs, it reduces the number of contaminants. 

Sanitizing is also a process where the load of contaminants is further reduced to a safe level using a low level disinfectant or sanitizing agent but it does not eliminate all bacterial load. It reduces the risk of infection

 

Disinfecting is the act of killing germs using disinfectant products. Disinfecting will destroy or inactivate bacteria, fungi and viruses but not bacterial spores (sterilization would eliminate bacterial spores). Disinfecting after cleaning is an effective way of reducing the spread of infection. Using a strong disinfectant that is ranked as Hospital Grade makes the disinfection more effective, as a wider range of bacteria & viruses can be eliminated.

 

 

Avoid Toxic Disinfectant Solutions

 

A large number of disinfectants exist that are quite effective in eliminating a large variety of bacteria, fungi and viruses. However, 

It is as crucial to keep our environment safe and protect ourselves from non- biological contaminants Many people are not aware that cleaning and disinfecting products contain ingredients that are toxic to their health. Frequent exposure to these products can cause many adverse health effects.

 

Here are some chemicals used for cleaning and disinfecting that are toxic and should be avoided.

 

Bleach

Bleach can be extremely harmful to human health and environment. Accidental poisoning from bleach is very common. The toxins from bleach can cause respiratory problems when inhaled. The fumes from bleach can also cause eye and nose irritations, nausea, migraines, shortness of breath etc. It is very harmful for children as they breath these toxic fumes while their lungs are still developing.

 

Along with posing a threat to human health, bleach is also bad for the environment. When this toxic waste is released it can pollute air and natural water resources.

 

Ammonia

 

Ammonia is widely used in cleaning products, but it poses a great health risk.

Coming in contact with ammonia. By using cleaning and disinfecting products that contain ammonia compounds could cause eye and skin irritation and respiratory health effects. Frequent and excessive exposure can lead to liver and kidney damage. When released into drains, ammonia can also pollute the natural water resources.

 

Hydrogen Peroxide

 

Cleaning and disinfecting solutions containing hydrogen peroxide also pose a health risk. Hydrogen peroxide is often used as an alternative to bleach. Long term exposure can cause respiratory, skin and eye irritations.

 

 The list of effective disinfectants that are non- toxic and completely harmless is very short. Vital Oxide is the leading Hospital Grade disinfectant that has the best of both worlds: extensive kill list and 100% biodegradable, No harm to human, pets and the environment. 

How to properly clean and disinfect?

 

Before getting started with cleaning disinfecting tasks, it is a good practice to wear disposable gloves. If using reusable gloves make sure to use them only for cleaning and disinfecting purposes. Clean the gloves after completing the task.  Ensure you are using the right products for the type of surface you are treating by reading the label. Ensure you are handling the cleaning cloth properly. Change them frequently to avoid cross contamination or use single-use paper towels. 

 

Cleaning is often skipped, but it is a very important first step. Visible soil should be cleaned up as the first step to make the surface available for disinfectant to work and be effective. 

Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces like keyboards, doorknobs, tables, touch screens, light switches, etc. daily.

 

 

Precautionary Measures

 

Here are some precautionary measures you can take through this process:

 

  • If you are using products with harsh chemicals like the ones discussed above, always wear gloves, masks and eye protection for splash hazards.

 

  • Keep the windows open while cleaning and disinfecting for ventilation. Toxic fumes from these chemicals can often cause irritation, migraines or dizziness.

 

  • Do not mix different cleaning products. This can result in release of  toxic gases that can be highly dangerous.

 

  • Store these products in a safe place where it is out of reach from children and pets. If you make your own cleaning products, ensure to label them.

 

Vital Oxide: The Revolutionary Solution

 

 

Vital Oxide is EPA approved & Health Canada authorized  hospital grade cleaning and disinfecting solution. It is free of toxic chemicals like bleach and ammonia making it safe for both human health and the environment. This solution can effectively kill 99.999% viruses and bacteria. Without causing any adverse health effect. 

Cleaning and disinfecting process cannot get simpler than this as Vital Oxide functions both as a cleaner and disinfectant. To clean, first use a coat of Vital Oxide, with a cloth to remove any visible dirt. Then spray Vital Oxide on the clean surface and leave it to disinfect.

 

For more questions about Vital Oxide please Contact Us and we can help you.